Included for free with this service
12-month / 12k-mile warranty
Free 50 point safety inspection
Our certified mobile mechanics can come to your home or office 7 days a week between 7 AM and 9 PM.
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Service
How much does a Valve Cover Gasket Replacement cost?
On average, the cost for a Ford Explorer Valve Cover Gasket Replacement is $153 with $58 for parts and $95 for labor. Prices may vary depending on your location.
|1999 Ford ExplorerV8-5.0L||Service typeValve Cover Gasket Replacement||Estimate$601.29||Shop/Dealer Price$701.00 - $939.37|
|1997 Ford ExplorerV6-4.0L||Service typeValve Cover Gasket Replacement||Estimate$672.00||Shop/Dealer Price$785.09 - $1034.17|
|2014 Ford ExplorerV6-3.5L Turbo||Service typeValve Cover Gasket Replacement||Estimate$1038.23||Shop/Dealer Price$1198.93 - $1518.75|
|2016 Ford ExplorerV6-3.5L||Service typeValve Cover Gasket Replacement||Estimate$646.25||Shop/Dealer Price$766.56 - $1060.00|
|1993 Ford ExplorerV6-4.0L||Service typeValve Cover Gasket Replacement||Estimate$632.55||Shop/Dealer Price$749.55 - $1032.81|
|2018 Ford ExplorerV6-3.5L||Service typeValve Cover Gasket Replacement||Estimate$177.03||Shop/Dealer Price$207.56 - $276.60|
|2018 Ford ExplorerL4-2.3L Turbo||Service typeValve Cover Gasket Replacement||Estimate$215.49||Shop/Dealer Price$254.25 - $348.28|
|2013 Ford ExplorerV6-3.5L||Service typeValve Cover Gasket Replacement||Estimate$661.25||Shop/Dealer Price$782.33 - $1076.37|
Show example Ford Explorer Valve Cover Gasket Replacement prices
What is a valve cover gasket and how does it work?
Each cylinder head on your car’s engine has an aluminum or plastic valve cover bolted to it. Between this valve cover and the cylinder head, there is a gasket that keeps engine oil from leaking out. The valve cover bolts keep the gasket compressed, thus preventing leaks. Over time the gasket becomes brittle from the engine’s heat or the bolts loosen, creating an engine oil leak.
When to consider replacing a valve cover gasket?
Look for these signs of oil leakage at the valve cover gasket:
- Oil seepage or dripping. Should the joint between the valve cover and the cylinder head fail, oil often becomes visible on the valve cover or cylinder heads. Usually, the oil will attract and hold dirt.
- Oil accumulating inside the spark plug well. The spark plug tube seals are part of the valve cover sealing system. If the tube seals are leaking, you will see oil on the spark plugs or wires. The valve cover gasket and tube seals are all replaced at one time if either fails.
- Oil leakage at the rubber grommets. The bolts holding the valve cover to the cylinder head sometimes have rubber grommet seals under the bolt heads. If these seals are leaking, you will see oil seepage around the bolt heads.
How do mechanics replace a valve cover gasket?
- Remove engine cover. Some engines have plastic covers over the entire top. The plastic engine cover is removed to access the valve cover(s).
- Remove components. On 4 cylinder engines, the valve cover is usually readily accessed once any electrical components and emission control tubing are removed, plus any accelerator linkages that might be in the way. On 6 or 8 cylinder engines, depending on which valve cover gasket is leaking, removal of the air intake plenum might be required, as well as additional steps.
- Remove valve cover. Once the valve cover(s) is accessed, the cover retaining bolts are removed and the cover pulled off. The valve cover sealing surface is checked with a straight edge to be sure the cover is flat and thus reusable.
- Install new gasket. The new valve cover gasket is applied along with new rubber grommets under the retaining bolt heads. If there are spark plug tube seals, these are replaced as well. In some applications, oil resistant RTV (room temperature vulcanization) sealant must be applied to specific segments of the sealing surface, along with the new gasket, to ensure a complete and effective seal. The cover is bolted back on, using a calibrated inch pound torque wrench, and all other components are restored to their original position.
- Check for leaks. Finally, the car engine is run and a visual check is made for oil leaks.
Is it safe to drive with a valve cover gasket problem?
Yes, as long as the amount of oil leaking is small, and there is no leak onto hot engine parts such as the exhaust manifold, it is safe to drive your car until you have an opportunity to fix it.
If you notice oil leaking on to the ground beneath your car after it is parked, you do not have a small leak, and it needs to be found and repaired as soon as possible. Any leak, of course, means your oil level is dropping as you drive the car. If you have a leak, be sure to check your oil more frequently than usual so you do not run low on oil and damage the engine.
When replacing a valve cover gasket keep in mind:
- The mechanical components of a car engine will typically outlive the gaskets used to seal the engine. However, many of these gaskets, including the valve cover gaskets, are relatively easy to replace.
- Never add stop leak type products to engine oil or other vehicle fluids. Not only are these materials not approved or specified by the original equipment manufacturers, but they also can create additional problems that may be costly to repair.
- Often, if a car is old enough to have a valve cover oil leak, there will be oil leaks elsewhere on the engine, so you should request a complete leak inspection. It may be more cost effective to repair multiple leaks during one service call.
- Often, the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve is inserted into a rubber grommet in one of the valve covers. An old rubber grommet is a potential leak source, as well as connections to the PCV valve. These components should be inspected and considered for replacement while there is access to the valve cover.
Fast and easy service at your home or office
Backed by 12-month, 12.000-mile guarantee
Recent articles & questions
Residents Residents who live and drive in South Dakota know that they need to pay attention when they are driving to keep safe and to be sure they are abiding by the laws of the state. However, they also need...
Car Car pool lanes have been around for a few decades, and are increasingly growing in popularity. There are now thousands of miles of car pool lanes across the country, and they greatly aid an enormous number of commuters on...
P2338 P2338 Code Definition A P2338 code is a generic powertrain code related to an ignition-related problem, such as an engine misfire. It appears when the engine control module (ECM) has received a voltage reading outside the allowed variances from...
Voltage drop noticed during night driving. The headlights dim and then return to normal.
This may be a sign of a failing voltage regulator or potentially a bad ground connection. As you may know, the voltage regulator regulates the charging of the battery by the alternator. When the voltage regulator is not working properly,...
Hi There, It sounds like you have a weak battery (https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/battery-replacement). If the lights dim when you turn the key to start the motor, this suggests that the battery simply does not have the proper cranking power to turn the...
Both key fobs won't work after airbag recall replacement.
Hi Chris. Did the wireless key fobs work prior to the service? If so, have you had the batteries replaced recently? If the batteries are new or ok then it sounds like the module have be unplugged or insufficiently connected....
We're offline for a tune-up, we'll be up and running smoothly very soon.
In the meantime, here are some other options available:
Advance Auto Parts store
We appreciate your patience – on your next visit, use coupon code PS20 for 20% off your purchase.
We look forward to serving you,
The Advance Team
- Cricut promo code june 2020
- Low income apartments north dallas
- Jeep grand cherokee door handle
- In cold blood chapter summary
Ford Explorer Valve Cover Gasket Replacement
A valve cover gasket replacement is an engine service that varies in cost depending on the year, make, and model of your car.Get a Quote
Find Your Cost
Range for All Cars
Free Instant Quote
Average Shop Price $428
RepairSmith Price $243
Average Shop PriceRepairSmith Price$ Tell us your vehicle to get a guaranteed price for your brakes from RepairSmith.
Tell us your car to get a guaranteed price from RepairSmith.
Tell us your vehicle to get a guaranteed price for your brakes from RepairSmith.Our repairs come with:
Certified Mechanics •
12-Month | 12,000-Mile Warranty
Easy Online Booking • 7 Days a WeekLearn more about Valve Cover Gaskets
RepairSmith offers upfront and competitive pricing. The average cost for Ford Explorer Valve Cover Gasket Replacement is $461. Drop it off at our shop and pick it up a few hours later, or save time and have our Delivery mechanics come to you.
2002 Ford Explorer
4.6L V8 • 164,000 miles
Henderson , NV 89074
$178 - $218
2004 Ford Explorer
4.0L V6 • 166,000 miles
Long Beach , CA 90807
$346 - $422
2002 Ford Explorer
4.0L V6 • 115,300 miles
Los Angeles , CA 90034
$487 - $595
2006 Ford Explorer
4.0L V6 • 130,000 miles
Vista , CA 92083
$311 - $381
2006 Ford Explorer
4.0L V6 • 200,000 miles
Cedar Hill , TX 75104
$275 - $337
2015 Ford Explorer
3.5L V6 Turbo • 3,500 miles
La Puente , CA 91744
$818 - $1,000
2004 Ford Explorer
4.0L V6 • 143,000 miles
Peoria , AZ 85381
$319 - $389
2003 Ford Explorer
4.0L V6 Eddie Bauer • 206,000 miles
Murrieta , CA 92562
$439 - $537
2002 Ford Explorer
4.0L V6 • 128,600 miles
Las Vegas , NV 89148
$415 - $507
2002 Ford Explorer
4.0L V6 • 135,000 miles
Santee , CA 92071
$555 - $679
Sep 7, 2021 4:16 PM
Get A Quote 12-Month | 12,000-Mile Warranty
What is a Valve Cover Gasket?
Let’s treat this like a two-part question. First: What is a valve cover? A valve cover is a metal or plastic component that covers your car’s valve train and sits on top of the cylinder heads. It serves the purpose of keeping dirt, dust, and debris from entering the cylinder heads, and also the extremely vital purpose of keeping motor oil from leaking into the engine when it should not. Second: What’s a gasket? A gasket is a common car term, so make a note. It’s really just a seal. So, in this case, the valve cover gasket is a seal on the valve cover. It’s what creates a seamless connection between the valve cover and the cylinder head. But the gaskets - which are usually made of rubber - can wear out over time as with many car parts. The gasket can get worn thin, or crack, and it will fail to form a perfect seal. And when that happens, it’s time for a replacement.
Get a Quote 1-Year | 12,000-Mile Warranty
Symptoms of a failing Valve Cover Gasket
Cars have a lot of fluids. There’s oil, coolant, and brake fluid, just to name a few. So, if you see a leak, you won’t be able to tell what is immediately wrong. But, you should be able to tell that something is wrong. That something could be the valve cover gasket. The valve cover seals in the motor oil, which means that when the gasket breaks, the oil will start leaking out. When that happens, it may end up under your car, where you should be able to notice it.
Low oil level
If a broken valve cover gasket leads to oil leaks, what do you think that might mean for your oil level? It's good to get in the habit of checking your fluid levels. It only takes a few minutes, and it can help you catch issues before they become bigger, more expensive issues. If you notice that your car is getting low on oil, it could be due to a leak. And that leak could be from the valve cover gasket.
Engine performance problems
While the oil that leaks out from a broken valve cover gasket often falls straight to the ground, it can also end up going into the wrong parts of the engine. It’s fairly common for motor oil to leak onto your car’s spark plugs if the seal in the valve cover isn’t functioning properly. When that happens, your engine is likely to start misfiring. You’ll notice it in the form of poor performance when you’re accelerating, and also a gunshot-like noise.
We all know that leaks are bad, and so are mysterious burning smells. If your car smells funny, something is most likely wrong. Unless it's coming from your bag of gym clothes. When oil leaks through a broken valve cover gasket, it often drips onto the engine, where it burns. So, if your nose picks up a weird burning scent, you might have a valve cover gasket issue.Get a Quote 1-Year | 12,000-Mile Warranty
How urgent is a Valve Cover Gasket replacement?
If your car has a valve cover gasket that isn’t doing it’s job, it’s still safe to drive, as long as you still have a decent level of oil. Now, that doesn’t mean the repair isn’t urgent. Oil dripping onto the engine can cause damage, and the smell and performance of the car won’t be great, so you should get it replaced sooner than later.
Get a Quote 1-Year | 12,000-Mile Warranty
Related Ford Explorer Repairs
Coolant Hose Replacement Cylinder Head Gasket Replacement Cylinder Head Replacement Drive Belt Replacement Engine Motor Mount Replacement Engine Oil Pan Replacement Engine Tune-Up Engine Valve Adjustment Engine Valves Adjustment Engine Valves and Cylinder Heads Replacement Fuel Filter Replacement Fuel Pressure Regulator Replacement Heater Hose Replacement Idler Pulley Replacement Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement Left Engine Mount Replacement Lower Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement Oil Pan Gasket Replacement
Not sure? Let us diagnose
Brake Caliper Replacement Brake Master Cylinder Replacement Coolant Hose Replacement Camshaft Position Sensor Replacement Battery Terminal Repair Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement Transmission Assembly Replacement Engine Water Pump Replacement Fuel Pump Replacement Left Engine Mount Replacement Fuel Cap Replacement Coil Spring Replacement Front Control Arm Bushing Replacement Ignition Switch Replacement Rear Stabilizer Bar Bushing Replacement Tire Pressure Sensor Replacement Inner Tie Rod End Replacement Front Lower Ball Joint Replacement
How can we help?
RepairSmith is here to make car repair easy.Get a Quote
1-Year | 12,000-Mile Warranty
I immediately entered her, she groaned. Grasping her hips with my hands, I began to fuck her. The alcohol was holding me back, preventing me from cumming. Antonina, as I felt, was already on the verge, she twitched and the catfish was advancing on my penis, and screamed with pleasure. then she calmed down and, pressing her ass against me, calmed down.
Ford explorer valve cover gasket
I sent Yanka to prepare, meanwhile I promised to do her assignment. For her according to the highest mathematics, in which she did not go over it. Well, what can you say, Yanka and Blondinka.Changing Valve Cover Gaskets and Spark Plugs PT 1 - 2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac
The girl was still lying on her back with her eyes closed, her dark shoulders and breasts were covered with large drops of sweat, a. White, thick flesh emerged from the crack. Looking at how her chest heaves from the rapid breathing, I paid attention to the red amulet, so cleverly located between the two auditoriums.
You will also like:
- 1997 lincoln mark viii problems
- Who repairs bathroom exhaust fans
- Big brain simulator codes 2020
- Bike rental littleton, co
- 5th gen 4runner wheel bearing
- Moana drawing step by step
- How to wear a sunga
- Lg portable air conditioner sale
- White bed liner roll on
- Pictures of a white lab
Solomon's bow created such melodies on my body that it literally shook me under his body. After 10 minutes, Solomon entered and went out and entered my body again, tightly clinging to. My body, and nervously breathing, pressing against me nervously shuddered in joyful ecstasy. I felt his penis nervously push up and down in my ass.