Today, the ODNI, in consultation with the Department of Justice (DOJ), is releasing additional FISA Section 702 documents regarding the 2011 certification documents and adding those documents to a related prior post:
DNI Declassifies Intelligence Community Documents Regarding Collection Under Section 702 of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) – Wednesday, August 21, 2013
From time to time we are able to update older posts on IC on the Record with newly declassified information. When we do so, we always note the addition in the original post (in this case, marked as “added September 12, 2017″) as well as create a new blog entry to direct you to the freshly released information.
Today’s documents were released pursuant to a Freedom of Information (FOIA) case filed in the U.S. District Court, Southern District New York, NYT/Savage v. the DOJ. We previously posted other 2011 Section 702 certification documents pursuant to this NYT/Savage FOIA case on June 19, 2017, in the same post noted above. Today’s release concerning the 2011 certifications include additional orders by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC), government motion, responses, and notices, and a transcript of the September 2011 FISC hearing.
FBI releases first of declassified documents related to 9/11
The FBI has released a newly declassified 16-page document related to logistical support provided to two of the Saudi hijackers in the lead-up to the 9/11 terrorist attacks. The document describes contacts the hijackers had with Saudi associates in the US but offers no evidence the Saudi government was complicit in the plot.
The document, released on the 20th anniversary of the attacks, is the first investigative record to be disclosed since Joe Biden ordered a declassification review of materials that for years have remained out of public view.
The president had encountered pressure in recent weeks from victims’ families, who have long sought the records as they pursue a lawsuit in New York alleging that senior Saudi officials were complicit.
The Saudi government has always denied any involvement. The Saudi embassy in Washington said on Wednesday that it supported the full declassification of all records as a way to “end the baseless allegations against the kingdom once and for all”. The embassy said that any allegation that Saudi Arabia was complicit was “categorically false”.
Biden last week ordered the justice department and other agencies to conduct a declassification review of investigative documents and release what they can over the next six months.
The 16 pages were released on Saturday night, hours after Biden attended 9/11 memorial events in New York, Pennsylvania and northern Virginia. Victims’ relatives had earlier objected to Biden’s presence at ceremonial events as long as the documents remained classified.
The heavily redacted record released on Saturday describes a 2015 interview with a person who was applying for US citizenship and years earlier had repeated contacts with Saudi nationals who investigators said provided “significant logistical support” to several of the hijackers.
The documents are being released at a politically delicate time for the US and Saudi Arabia, two nations that have forged a strategic, if difficult, alliance, particularly on counter-terrorism matters.
The Biden administration in February released an intelligence assessment implicating Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in the 2018 killing in Turkey of the US-based journalist Jamal Khashoggi, but drew criticism from Democrats for avoiding a direct punishment of the crown prince himself.
Regarding 9/11 there has been speculation of official involvement since shortly after the attacks, when it was revealed that 15 of the 19 attackers were Saudis. Osama bin Laden, the leader of al-Qaida at the time, was from a prominent family in the kingdom.
The US investigated some Saudi diplomats and others with Saudi government ties who knew the hijackers after they arrived in the US, according to documents that have already been declassified.
Still, the 9/11 commission report found “no evidence that the Saudi government as an institution or senior Saudi officials individually funded” the attacks that al-Qaida masterminded. But the commission also noted “the likelihood” that Saudi government-sponsored charities did.
Particular scrutiny has centred on the first two hijackers to arrive in the US, Nawaf al-Hazmi and Khalid al-Mihdhar. In February 2000, shortly after their arrival in southern California, they encountered at a halal restaurant a Saudi national named Omar al-Bayoumi who helped them find and lease an apartment in San Diego, had ties to the Saudi government, and had earlier attracted FBI scrutiny.
F.B.I. Releases Newly Declassified Document Related to Sept. 11 Attacks
Families of the Sept. 11 victims have long pushed for a deeper investigation into any possible role the Saudi government had in the attacks, but the document offered no conclusive evidence.
WASHINGTON — The F.B.I. released a newly declassified document late Saturday describing connections that the agency examined between the hijackers and the Saudi government in the years since the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, although it contained no conclusive evidence about whether the kingdom played a role in the attacks.
The 16-page report, which was issued hours after President Biden arrived at the World Trade Center memorial in Lower Manhattan, is the first document to be released since the president last week moved to declassify materials that for years have remained secret.
Families of the Sept. 11 victims have long pushed for a deeper investigation into any possible role the Saudi government had in the attacks. Mr. Biden instructed the Justice Department and federal agencies in recent days to release declassified documents over the next six months after a group of hundreds of affected people — including survivors, emergency medical workers and victims’ relatives — told him to skip the memorial event at ground zero this year if he did not move to disclose some of those documents.
The document, which was heavily redacted, describes an interview conducted in November 2015 with a Saudi man, identified only as PII, who was applying for American citizenship. He detailed his work at the country’s consulate in Los Angeles and shared anecdotes about his personal interactions with embassy leadership. The document also summarizes his contact with people who investigators said had provided “significant logistic support” to two of the hijackers.
Some members of the commission that investigated the 2001 attacks believed that if the Saudi government had any role in the plot, it was likely to have involved consular officials.
But the document released on Saturday provided no new conclusive evidence about the Saudi government’s role.
Speculation around the possible Saudi role increased over the years because of the government’s refusal to declassify 28 pages of a 2002 congressional inquiry into the Sept. 11 attacks that specifically addressed possible connections between the kingdom and the terrorist plot.
The document was finally released in 2016, and it detailed numerous suspicious meetings between Saudi officials and the Sept. 11 hijackers, and checks from Saudi royals to operatives in contact with the hijackers. It was also an unflattering picture of the kingdom’s efforts to thwart American operations against Al Qaeda in the years before the attacks.
The question of whether any Saudi officials played a role in the Sept. 11 plot has festered for two decades despite numerous investigations into the attacks.
The Saudi government has long denied any involvement. Its embassy in Washington issued a statement this week saying “any allegation that Saudi Arabia is complicit in the Sept. 11 attacks is categorically false.”
In its 2004 final report, the Sept. 11 Commission said it had found no evidence that the “Saudi government as an institution, or senior Saudi officials individually funded” Al Qaeda. But some former commission staff members have pointed out that the careful wording of the report did not rule out the possibility that lower-ranking Saudi officials had helped the hijackers. They also said that the commission, operating under extreme time pressure, could not run every lead to ground.
CIA Releases Declassified Documents Related to 9/11 Attacks
June 12, 2015
LANGLEY, VA – Today, CIA has released to the public declassified versions of five internal documents related to the Agency’s performance in the lead-up to the attacks of September 11, 2001. The documents can be found at CIA’s Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) online reading room at http://www.foia.cia.gov/collection/declassified-documents-related-911-attacks.
The first of these documents is a redacted version of the 2005 CIA Office of Inspector General (OIG) Report on Central Intelligence Agency Accountability Regarding Findings and Conclusions of the Report of the Joint Inquiry into Intelligence Community Activities Before and After the Terrorist Attacks of September 11, 2001. In 2005, then-CIA Director Porter Goss issued a public statement on the OIG report. In 2007, CIA publicly released a redacted executive summary of the report along with a statement from then-Director Michael Hayden. In response to FOIA requests for the full 2005 OIG report, CIA and other agencies conducted an extensive review of the nearly 500-page document in order to release information that no longer needed to be protected in the interests of national security.
To further contribute to the public record on these events, CIA has also released today redacted versions of four other documents that relate to the 2005 OIG report and provide alternate views on the Agency’s performance prior to 9/11. These documents underwent the same review process as the 2005 OIG report. These additional documents include two internal statements by former CIA Director George Tenet in February 2005 and June 2005 that respond to drafts of the 2005 OIG report. They also include two other documents that were previously released, but now contain fewer redactions in light of the recent declassification of information on CIA’s counterterrorism operations. These documents are an August 2001 OIG Inspection Report of the DCI Counterterrorism Center (CTC), released in 2010, and a July 2005 memorandum from 17 CTC officers responding to the 2005 OIG report, released in 2005.
The events of 9/11 will be forever seared into the memories of all Americans who bore witness to the single greatest tragedy to befall our homeland in recent history. The documents released today reflect differing views formed roughly a decade ago within CIA about the Agency’s performance prior to 9/11.
Documents today declassified released
The Intelligence Community Equal Employment Opportunity and Diversity (EEOD) Office is responsible for the overall management of the ODNI EEO and Diversity Program, and provides IC-wide oversight and guidance in developing, implementing, and measuring progress in EEO, diversity, and inclusion.
The IC EEOD Office is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants based on merit and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, and physical or mental disability.
Applicants or employees who believe they have been discriminated against on the bases of race, color, religion, sex/gender (sexual orientation and gender identity), national origin, age, disability, genetic information (including family medical history) and/or reprisal for prior participation in the EEO process may raise their concerns to the IC EEOD Office.
The National Declassification Center
NDC - "Releasing All We Can, Protecting What We Must"
Notice to NARA Researchers and FOIA Requesters
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of our staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference or FOIA request or appeal. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.
New Entries Released by the National Declassification Center
Updated January 15, 2020
2020 First Quarter Release List
On January 3, 2020, the NDC released a listing of 206 entries that completed declassification processing between October 1, 2019, and December 31, 2019. These records are now available for researcher requests. This release consists of textual and special media records from military and civilian agencies as well as the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum. The FY2020-Q1 Release List is available to view or download in PDF and Excel formats:
Highlights from the released records include:
- Bureau of Ships, Preliminary Design History and Data Files of Ships, 1909-1966
- Bureau of Ships, Ship Records Relating to Mine Warfare, Radiological Defense, and Counter-Measures, 1940-1970
- Office of the Chief of Naval Operations, Secret Naval Intelligence Reports
- Office of the Chief of Naval Operations, Operational Archives Publications and Other Records Regarding World War II and the Korean War
- Department of State, Records Relating to the U.S.-Canada International Joint Commission
- Bureau of Aeronautics, Reports Relating to Nuclear Energy
- Foreign Service Posts of the Department of State, Classified Files Maintained by Robert Strausz-Hupe, Ambassador to Ceylon, Belgium, Sweden, and NATO, 1970-1977
- Office of the Chief of Ordnance, Joint Army-Navy-Air Force (JANAF) Project Files
- Atomic Energy Commission, Decimal Correspondence Relating to the X-10 Reactor Plant
- Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum, White House Tapes: Sound Recordings of Meetings and Telephone Conversations of the Nixon Administration (February 16, 1971-July 18, 1973)
- Department of the Navy, Hardtack Eniwetok (Motion Picture)
- Department of the Navy, Operation Sailor Hat (Motion Picture)
- Department of the Navy, Polaris Weapons Systems Development, 1959 (Motion Picture)
To request access to the newly released records or to order copies, please contact Archives 2 Reference at 301-837-3510 or [email protected] For Nixon Tapes, please contact the Nixon Library at 714-983-9120 or [email protected]
Please note that some series may contain other restrictions such as privacy or law enforcement and may require screening or a FOIA request prior to access. When making a request, please cite the Record Group/Collection Identifier, the HMS Entry, and Series Title.
Learn more about Indexing-On-Demand (IOD):
- 2012 gmc sierra fender trim
- Barnes 300 wsm load data
- Benjamin moore warm gray
- Cnbc call of the day
- Used chevy silverado san antonio
- Upper peninsula ski resorts map
- Form m 477 checklist
- Is comfort suites pet friendly
- Ford taurus radio not working
- Property for sale sumter sc
- Modern garden path ideas
- Studio apartments in chester pa
Cheerful and companionable girl, did not want to seem boring among old friends. Well, and when someone is left without clothes. The winner will give the second player various tasks, which we will now write on the cards. Or, better, let the winner pull out a card on which the task for the loser will be written.
Like: A kiss on the lips.